Thanks to Sharon J for permission to post this!
250g minced beef
250g minced pork (double the beef if you don't have pork mince - or vice versa)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
3 tsp fresh parsley or 1 tsp dried (optional)
1 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
2 tbsp cornflour
300-400 ml milk (or use water if you don’t use dairy)
½ small onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp butter or margarine for frying
- Mix the minced meat and salt together until it’s a sticky mess then mix the cornflour, parsley, nutmeg and pepper in.
- Gradually add the milk or water while still mixing then mix in the onions. Form into whatever sized balls you like.
- Brown the fat in a frying pan then add the meatballs (in batches if necessary). Shake the pan now and then to ensure that they’re fried on all sides. Once they’re nice and brown, leave them to fry over a gentle heat for 3-5 minutes, depending on their size.
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
500 ml beef stock
A little vinegar taken from a jar of gherkins (optional)
A few drops of soy sauce or gravy browning (optional)
A little milk (sorry, but water just won’t cut it but you could use a milk alternative I guess)
Ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and mix in the flour to form a paste (or roux, which is the proper word for it).
- Add the stock and simmer very gently for about 5 minutes so that the flour taste disappears.
- Add the soy sauce/gravy browning, vinegar, a little milk and pepper to taste. Simmer for another minute.
- Taste - add more pepper if needed.