andrews mussaman chicken curryrating:
This curry is a variation on a theme. A mussaman/massaman (or muslim) curry is usually a curry with chicken, potatoes, coconut milk and spices, and that's as much as I know (I read it off of a menu in a Thai restaurant)
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped or pressed
- 4 fillets of chicken diced
- 1 can coconut milk (400g)
- 7 oz potato diced (inch cubes)
- 2 tbsp fish sauce (or 1 tbsp dark soy sauce + 1 tbsp oyster sauce if not available)
- 1 tsp Thai red paste
- 4 red Thai bird chilies chopped small (or one large red jalapeno chili)
- 2 inch (ish) stalk of lemon grass chopped and crushed.
- 7 oz potato diced (1/2 inch cubes)
- handful of unsalted peanuts (optional)
Grab wok and heat oil (peanut/groundnut pref.) until it is smoking. Add garlic to flavour the oil and throw in the chicken. Stir fry the chicken until it's white. Add the coconut milk and stir in until all the chicken is coated and the mixture is bubbling.
Add the chilies, lemon grass, Thai red paste, oyster sauce and soy. Let it bubble for 5 minutes and then throw in the potatoes. Continue to let it bubble for another 10 minutes; if you are adding peanuts, now is the time to throw them in. You'll know when it's ready because the sauce will thicken to the point that it sticks to the chicken/potatoes.
Serve with rice (Nasi Goreng if you know how to make it)
sounds lovely - I shall add it to my "bookshelf" (when I get time to write same :)