onion, roughly chopped
cauliflower, cut into small florets
- Grind the whole spices, and fry them in the oil.
- Add the onions, fry for a bit and then cover and turn down.
- Meanwhile, boil the cauliflower for about 9 minutes; drain into a jug and add to the spices and onion.
- Cook the lentils for 13 minutes in twice the volume of liquid; the cauliflower cooking water should be roughly the right quantity. Handily, this is also as long as we cook rice on low heat.
- Stir the lentils into the cauliflower, add a bit of tomato paste and salt to taste; cook on low heat for 13 minutes (the rice can finish cooking off heat).
Serve. And eat!
This is just fine on its own with pilau rice, but crisp fried onion as a garnish would do no harm, and it would sit happily with a meat dish, saag aloo, or whatever.