onion, roughly chopped
cauliflower, cut into small florets
- Grind the whole spices, and fry them in the oil.
- Add the onions, fry for a bit and then cover and turn down.
- Meanwhile, boil the cauliflower for about 9 minutes; drain into a jug and add to the spices and onion.
- Cook the lentils for 13 minutes in twice the volume of liquid; the cauliflower cooking water should be roughly the right quantity. Handily, this is also as long as we cook rice on low heat.
- Stir the lentils into the cauliflower, add a bit of tomato paste and salt to taste; cook on low heat for 13 minutes (the rice can finish cooking off heat).