- 1kg-ish scrag end or neck of lamb- diced (do not discard the fat)
- 2 large carrots- roughly chopped
- 1 large onion- diced
- 2 celery sticks- roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4-6 small to medium floury potatoes.
- herbs (parsley, thyme, bay leaf- whatever's to hand)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pearl barley (debatable)
Cover and simmer for 2 hours (at least). Serve with colcannon
Note on the potatoes. Ulster Chieftans are the best but any floury (as opposed to waxy) potato will do.