maple syrup glazed hamrating:
1 ham, preferably on the bone, Sainsbury does a nice number
english mustard (Powder)
canadian maple syrup 2 x 250ml
1) parboil ham in pressure cooker for 20 minutes (optionally, you can do it all in the oven...)
2) spread a little mustard on the ham
3) Pour over 50% of maple syrup -- We used 2 x 250 ml
4) Cover with tin foil
5) Leave in oven for cooking time minus 30 minutes, (half cooking time if pre boiled....best to use meat thermometer.)
a) Remove tin from ham, back in oven at 200 for 30 minutes or until cooked/skin browned
b) Remove from oven and leave to cool for 30-50 minutes
c) baste with juice found at bottom of baking tin
Advanced option - better glaze take from step 5
6) Take remaining maple syrup and English mustard powder and mix
together in sauce pan, about 2-3 heaped teaspoons of mustard powder.
7) Remove tin foil from ham and drain ham juice into sauce pan, replace ham in oven sans tin foil.
8) Turn oven up to 200 for 20-30 minutes until skin crispy (you can remove skin and grill if you would like, be sure to coat rind in more maple syrup prior to this).
8) Back to sauce pan....mix juice into mustard and maple syrup.Bring to full boil whilst stirring to dissolve mustard.
9) Simmer for 10 minutes until all the water content has reduced (about 1/3 of liquid), keep stirring...
10) Remove ham from oven, remove skin place aside
11) Leave ham and glaze to cool a little
12) brush or pour on glaze to ham repeatedly until liquid has gone, you can also use the syrup that is in the baking tin...this takes ages as it wont want to stick too, keep at it as it will sink into the ham after a while.