layered potato gratin with spinachrating:
From an old issue of Family Circle.
serves 6. cooking time 1 hour 15 minutes
50g finely chopped herbs such as chervil, sorrel, parsley, chives
a 'few gratings' of nutmeg
pinch of cayenne pepper
1kg medium-sized, waxy-fleshed potatoes (such as Desiree)
1 large garlic clove, crushed
2 TBB butter
150g Gruyere cheese, grated
250ml full-cream milk
450ml double cream
- Pre heat oven to 170C gas mark 3.
- Wash spinach and cook in a pan until just wilted. Drain, squeezing out excess water, chop and put in to a bowl.
- Add the herbs, nutmeg and cayenne to the spinach. Season.
- Peel the potatoees and slice them as thin as possible.
- Mix garlic and butter together and use this to grease a gratin dish.
- Arrange half the potatoes over the base of the dish.
- Season the potatoes, then spread the spinach mixture over this and add some of the cheese.
- Layer over the remaining potatoes andscatter the rest of the cheese on top.
- Mix together the milk and athe cream and pour this over the potatoes.
- Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes until tender and melting.
- Remove from oven and let it stand for five minutes before serving.
what a great idea - I'm always looking for ways to use up half a bag of spinach, so I shall be trying this very shortly!