chunky corn chowderrating:
From a BBC Good Food mini magazine, but not on their website.
Serves 4, prep 15 mins, cook 40 mins
100g unsmoked bacon, cut into small pieces
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tsp chopped thyme leaves
450g corn kernels (about 5 cobs)
2 large potatoes, cut into 1cm cubes
1 bay leaf
300ml chicken stock
3 TBS single cream
chopped chives, to serve
1. Fry the bacon until the fat runs our and it is crisp. Remove, drain and kitchen towel and put aside.
2. Add the onion, celery, garlic, thyme, sald and pepper to the fat and cook over a medium heat until the onion is translucent. Add the corn, potatoes, bayleaf and stock.
3. Bring the soup to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes untilt he potatoes are very tender. Remove the bay leaf, add the milka dn cream and heat through.
4. Spoon a third of the soup into a blender and allow to cool slightly. Puree until smooth then return it ot the rest of the soup inteh pot. Season with cayenne, salt and pepper.
5. Heat through then ladle into bowls and scatter with the reserved bacon and the chives.
Nutritional info per serving (quarter of the above): 288 kcals; 13g protein; 41g carb; 9g fat; (4g unsaturated fat); 4g fibre; 1.33g salt